Question about teams

Teacher’s Question
I’m trying to find more information on your website about how the teams work. I just started using the platform and created teams of 3 for one of my classes. Is the idea that the students would use one computer? I’m assuming this is why they get a login screen that lists their teammates but only shows the computer user as logged in. The other teammates are shown as “absent”. Because of COVID, students have to use different computers but I’d still like them to work together. I can find ways to do this, but just wondered if you had any more information about how the teams function on your website? Primarily, I’m wondering if I have student teams setup on the website, but each student is working on their own computer and typing individual responses…how does the program decide which response to show me when I grade?

WISE was originally designed with the intention of students working together on a single computer. It’s not recommended to have teammates sign in at the same time on different computers because they will overwrite each other’s answers if they answer the same question. The student that submits their answer last for a given question will have their work for that question shown in the grading tool.

It is possible for teammates to work on different computers if they make sure they don’t answer the same question. The teammates would need to alternate answering questions. This would take coordination by the students which might be tricky. There are possibly other issues that may arise if they work on different computers. For example, if there is a constraint that requires a question be answered before they can move on, the student that answers the question will be able to move on but the other student won’t have that work so they won’t be able to move on. One workaround to this would be to have the other student refresh the WISE webpage which would then retrieve all the latest answers which would then allow them to move on too.

I think the easiest solution, if possible, would be to have Student A log in to WISE (and also log their teammate Student B in for them) and then share their screen with Student B using a screen sharing application such as Zoom or Google Meet. Student A would then do all the typing.

Geoff has provided a great explanation here. The other option would be to have students work individually in WISE (1 student per team), if that’s easier for distance learning. Students could still get together in teams on a Zoom meeting or something to discuss but would each submit their own answers. Teachers would then be able to see each students’ work separately in the teacher tools.

We do need to add more specific information about how teams work in our Help content and will work on that soon.