Unit not loading after adding conditional branching

In the unit authoring tool, I have made several attempts to include conditional logic (branching) in my lesson based on the students multiple choice selection. (I.e., if they select option A, they will be directed to page A, etc.). After I add these settings, my unit outline disappears and all that remains is ‘Unused Lessons’ and ‘Unused Components’. I attempted to close my browser and reload it, but the page becomes stuck on ‘Loading Unit’ after clicking it in the unit authoring page. This is a relatively new problem as I’ve been able to use branching in the past without issue.

I am using Mac OSX Sonoma 14.0, and have attempted this on both Chrome and Firefox browsers.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Hey Samuel,

I’ve fixed your Organ Unit Plan. When creating branching, you should create the steps that will go in the branch paths and also a step where the branch paths merge together before you set up the branching. Now that all the branch paths are set up, you should be able to add more steps to each path if you’d like. The branch authoring can be a little finicky and we hope to make it better in the future. If you have any more issues, just send another message and we’ll fix it for you.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Geoff (WISE Team)

Hi Geoff,

I am having the same problem - our shared unit “Master Uni Stats” and my own “P&SP Cor Test Unit” won’t load or preview while I was setting up the branching.
Could you help me with them please?
I did exactly what you said - all steps used are created before I edit branching. I’m not sure what is triggering the issue.
I hope it’s okay that I’m replying under this since it’s the exact same problem.
Thanks a lot!

P.S. Love your profile photo. Loco Roco is one of my all time favorite PSP game too :slight_smile:

Best,
Kaya

Hi Kaya,

I’ve fixed both of your units.

Your “Master Uni Stats” unit had branching that was not completely authored. You did not choose a step for one of the branch paths.

Your “P & SP Cor Test Unit” unit also had the same issue. This unit loads in the Authoring Tool but not in the student preview. It looks like you have 3 branch points one after the other which confuses the system. It is not recommended to have nested branches or branches that cross each other. If you need help figuring out how to implement the branching in your unit, please let me know.

When you author branching, make sure to fill out all the fields (such as Node ID, Component ID, score, etc). We know our branch authoring is buggy and finicky and we plan to make it better.

Geoff (WISE Team)